About Me....

My name is Christina Moore and I am currently a Junior at the University of South Alabama. My major is Secondary Education, and I am focusing on Language Arts. It has always been a dream to be a teacher. I would like to teach middle school, hopefully sixth grade. I love to read and write.

My Teaching
Philosophy


I can honestly say that the only job I ever dreamed of having was being a teacher. I'll admit, I was not a fan of school sometimes because it was boring or I felt like I was wasting my time absorbing knowledge that I know that I would not need in my future. I decided at a very young age that I wanted to be that teacher who all of my students looked up to because I understood them and kept their interest in my class.

I believe that child's grade school years are the most important days of their lives. Not because it educates them and prepares them for life, but for the simple fact it is the time where they discover who they are and who they want to be. Children need guidance and example. If they do not have both or any of these, they can feel lost and alone. Some may act out and others may keep to themselves. For those reasons, I will try my best to engage all of my students in a way that they don't have to act out and be a part of the group always.

Of course, being a teacher means you have to teach. But I also believe that being a teacher is almost being like another parent. I plan to love all of my students as if they were my own. The good ones and the bad ones. I know that each child is going to be so different, and that's what makes them special. I want them to know that and feel that way. Learning can be fun if everyone is one the same page. Class and group discussions can be more vivid which is always an effective learning tool.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nobody Said it was Easy

I think that the 2 hardest aspects of being a teacher will be for me is gaining the respect of my students and the parents!

I am a very tiny person. I am only 4'11" and 100 pounds. That's about the size of an average 4th or 5th grader these days. I want to work with middle schoolers, so it is quite intimidating walking into a school where you are supposed to be the authority and the students are taller than you! I have spent many hours helping out at Hillsdale Middle School and I have an issue with the students respecting me virtually every time I visit. Right now I don't care what they say and just laugh it off but I know that I am going to have to take this seriously and make sure they know that I am in charge and they are just a child. I hope by the time I graduate, I will start to look more like an adult and possibly grow and I won't have this problem.

The students parents are my only other concern I have about being a teacher. Again, working at Hillsdale I would just be in the office and have to deal with a parent who would come in with accusations and not listen to what was really going on. That's one parent that scared me, but one day I will have 100's of parents or maybe more to deal with each and every term. That may be overwhelming. The only suggestion I have for myself is to go with the flow and be respectful at all times. I am there to help their child, not hurt them. I can only hope they understand that,

No comments:

Post a Comment